Design a modern-day, camp-style home that’s large enough to host a crowd. That was the direction the team at Woodhouse, The Timber Frame Company received from the clients behind this plan. It took a year to get the layout just right, but that time investment was well spent. The result is a timeless timber frame home that fits the family’s desire to entertain and relax.
The Low Down
The plan reflects a mixture of elements taken from several different Woodhouse designs, combined to create a unique home. A soaring, two-story wall of windows highlights the open-concept main level, which also boasts an owners’ bedroom oasis with an enormous walk-in closet and not one but two private porches.
In fact, the genius of this design is that every bedroom is a suite, which is ideal for housing multiple generations under one roof with plenty of privacy. The upper-level office is ideal for today’s work-from-home culture, but is fully equipped to convert to a fifth bedroom, if even more sleeping space is needed.
But the plan’s flow is what really makes it work. Whether you enter from the front door or the garage/mudroom, there’s a seamless and logical progression to the way each room opens to the next. Subtle changes in angle define rooms without closing them off, allowing occupants to create each space as they see fit.
The Inside Scoop
- From the front foyer to the great room to the office, each of the home’s rooms is generously sized, which accounts for the plan’s expansive square footage.
- Porches are an essential part of this plan. The main level is surrounded by outdoor living spaces on every side.
- The two-bay garage is flanked by smaller compartments ideal for storage, golf carts or jet skis.
Square Footage: 6,700
Bedrooms: 4 to 5
Design/Timber Frame: Woodhouse, The Timber Frame Company
- A corner fireplace and outdoor kitchen optimize the screened porch.
- Residents have their choice of two owners’ suites: one on the main level and one upstairs — an ideal arrangement for a forever home.
- The two-story fireplace extends to the lower-level family room, providing several spots to host holiday parties.
- The kitchen is dominated by a massive island at the center of a classic U-shaped configuration.